Castel di Sangro (Caštiéllë in the castellano dialect) is an Italian town of 6627 inhabitants of the Province of L’Aquila in Abruzzo. It is the main center of Alto Sangro. It is an active tourist center due to its proximity to the ski resorts of Roccaraso, Pescocostanzo and Rivisondoli.
The city stands on the edge of a very wide valley, on the right bank of the Sangro. The sources of this watercourse are located near the town of Pescasseroli, in the National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise. Before reaching the municipal territory of Castel di Sangro, the Sangro enters the Lake of Barrea, an artificial basin created in 1951. After passing through the village of Castel di Sangro, the Sangro receives water from other tributaries and can be considered no more torrent but river. At Villa Santa Maria, in the province of Chieti, the Sangro enters Lake Bomba, another artificial basin. The Sangro ends its journey by flowing into the Adriatic Sea.
Following the discovery, by Antonio De Nino at the end of the 19th century, of the vast necropolis of Campo Consolino, near the nearby Alfedena, it is possible to affirm that the first evidence of settlements in the area of Castel di Sangro dates back to VII century BC
- Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta
It is the main Church of the country. Of medieval origins, it was rebuilt in baroque style between 1695 and 1725. It preserves the original semi-octagonal basilica plan with three naves. Following the earthquake of 1706, it was the architect Giovan Battista Gianni who worked on consolidating the structure. The plant consists of a central octagonal chamber covered by a raised dome with four rectangular rooms. It has a facade with a two-tiered portico. The latter is embellished by loggias of saints and by two lateral twin bell towers. Inside there are paintings by Francesco De Mura and Domenico Vaccaro, belonging to the eighteenth-century Neapolitan school.Church of St. John the Baptist
It was built in 1430 at the behest of the Marchesini family. In the seventeenth century it underwent baroque alterations that were partly lost with the bombing of 1943. The church was faithfully rebuilt to the original design, with a monumental stone facade, animated by two rows of pilasters. The medieval interior has three naves, with the Renaissance oratory of the Most Holy Rosary. There are paintings of the Mysteries of the Rosary dating back to the 18th century.Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian
It is an 11th century chapel. It was built next to the castle with stones taken from the construction site. It has a rectangular plan with a back apse and a turreted bell tower. The interior, in Romanesque style, is very sober.
Church of Oration and Death
It was built in 1736 by the will of the Confraternity of Death and Prayer.
La Civita is the highest and oldest district of the city where the Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta is located. It consists of fortified houses dating back to the 16th century. The Palazzo De Petra stands out, inside which today is the Patinian Art Gallery. The building has maintained its original appearance dating back to the fifteenth century. It has Gothic arches and a crenellated tower.
The castle was built in the XI century on Colle S. Giovanni, on the remains of pre-existing fortifications, probably of ancient age. The remaining village, however, developed in the thirteenth century. The castle of Castel di Sangro served as a military garrison but was abandoned in the fifteenth century. Of the castle remains the irregular square plan, bounded by the bases of three circular towers. In the middle of the towers is the church of Saints Cosmas and Damian.